CV CHRISTOPHER THORNTON

Thursday 14 July 2011

5 reasons why my Uni life is like the Apprentice



As I have pointed out to anyone who will listen, my colleagues and myself have all felt a certain effect at one time or another during our two years at Coventry University thus far. Something I have just this second dubbed.. 

"THE APPRENTICE EFFECT!" 

On more than one occasion I cant help but feel that in some ways my Particular course (Advertising and media, if you care) resembles a longer and slightly duller version of the BBC show . Now don't get me wrong I love the Apprentice and it still resembles one of the finest hour's of television you will ever see but its still a game show at heart. It strikes me how similar this game show can be to my actual life sometimes ...


1. On one particular day we were woken up at the crack of dawn, assigned to random groups, put on a bus going to a secret location where we spend the day performing a task then reflecting on our success or failure. Sound familiar?

2. Often throughout the term time we would be assigned to the aforementioned random groups and made to work together after shouting out our respective skills and abilities. These random groups required someone to step up (rather like a Project manager)

3. The sense of competitiveness and elation that comes with being part of  the"Winning group". Besting your peers and grabbing that elusive 1st or the silver medal of a 2-1.

4. The sense of failure that comes with receiving a lower grade than expected and immediately placing blame throughout the group.

5.  Although we have, on repeated occasions, been told that working in groups is beneficial and reflective of real life situations (which is true) we are also told repeatedly what a competitive business we are in and that we are fighting for places within the industry with our "team mates". Ultimately some of us will win and some of us will lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment